Friday, July 2, 2010

Sayonara Takeru Kobayashi? Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Might Lose Asian Cult Hero


According to reports, Takeru Kobayashi, the little Asian man who has a staggering propensity to eat more hotdogs than can possibly fit into a human his size, might not be permitted to enter the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest at Coney Island on July 4th. (Sigh)

Apparently, the issue stems from a contract negotiation over exclusivity rights that need to be agreed upon in order to enter the event. At the moment, the chances look slim the Asian eating machine, who won the event for a record six straight years from 2001-2006, will make it into the event.

Although I normally could really not care about people who choose to gorge themselves for a living, I do have a soft spot for Kobayashi. When I watch the highlights on SportsCenter the following day, I like to make myself believe I am watching a sport and he makes me believe that for a few seconds. Unlike the other competitors, who make me feel like I'm stuck in trailer park, Kobayashi resembles something of an athlete and superstar with his highlighted hair and chiseled six-pack.

So, here's to you Takeru Kobayashi. I hope you are given the opportunity to stuff around sixty hot dogs down your throat. Make your country proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment